As a photographer, I love the fact that I am growing all the time! But with growth comes mistakes. Things that make you grow more… And I have definitely learned. So now I’m sharing them with you to help in case you need to hear this today.
Here is my top 10 mistakes/learning moments for now….
- Showing up for a wedding without a flash or batteries that worked! Luckily it turned out okay. Batteries were also brand new. Learned? to Double check all equipment, more than once. Check batteries as soon as you get them. No matter if you think it’s silly. Make sure you bring it all. Even if you don’t “think” you’ll need it. Who knows you might need it. Extras are not a bad thing!
- Reflectors and forgetting to use them. (On-going mistake) Learned? Need to practice more with them. So I feel more confident. Reflectors help to give clients catch lights (little lights) in their eyes in camera. It really makes eyes pop!
- Not believing I’m worth the money. Learning? To believe my photography’s value. Trusting myself and my work. It is totally an on-going processes for me. I am harder on myself more than anyone really knows. (except for my hubby.) Sometimes even my “best” work, I think I could have done better.
- Not having clear goals of what and where I want to get. Learning? To make those goals yearly and to start dreaming about the next 5-15 years of my business. I didn’t even know I wasn’t thinking that far ahead until one of my friends asked to be my receptionist in about 5 years. (Sweetie, thank you for that!) Now I have wrote down some goals and am working on creating secret goal boards on Pinterest.
- Not practicing enough. Learning? To push myself with everything I purchase. To take the time and actually practice the new “toy” as I call it. Gaining skills through extra work.
- Being afraid to show my work at first and wondering what people would say. Learning? To take the risk. Show my pictures and be okay whether people love it or hate it. Some people will love it and some on’t. I just need take the risk. (Be a friend to a photographer, tell us.)
- Comparing myself to my peers and my mentors. Learning? To take my work and love where I am no. Being okay wit what I am creating. Being the best I can do for me. Trying to be happy for them on how much they are growing. Be happy where and for others who are tackling the same dream. (One of the hardest things to do sometimes.)
- The belief that I can’t be a full-time photographer. Learning? To take it one step at a time. Trusting God in what he wants to do with my photography business. Being faithful to the business and treating like it is an amazing awesome business (cause it is!). Treating my clients and possible clients as I want to be treated by a photographer. Desiring my business to be better and better.
- Forgetting Business Cards. Learning? To have them everywhere I am. To have enough. To carry even when not shooting because you never know what conversation you are going to have that day. Handing them out in any situation I can. Cause a napkin is not that classy.
- Waiting on others to confirm that I am a photographer. Learned? Not to wait for others to call me a photographer. Saying the word when talking about myself more. Not being afraid of saying that word aloud in reference to me.
I am a photographer…